Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Izzy's - Nut Goodie

Nut Goodie - Maple Nougat Ice Cream with Peanuts and Chocolate-Covered Peanuts
Today's flavor is from Izzy's Ice Cream.  I actually went to their scoop shop in Minneapolis for this flavor.  The Saint Paul shop is closer to where I live, but they have a flavor up page which lists the flavors and this flavor looked interesting enough to me to make the trek across the river.   It is called Nut Goodie -- after the candy bar from the Saint-Paul-based Pearson's Candy.  Growing up in Saint Paul, I would see Nut Goodie's and Salted Nut Rolls in the candy isle right alongside the Snickers and M&M's.  I had no idea they were local products until I moved away and could not find them anymore.  Now that I am back in Minnesota, I can enjoy them again.  Izzy's created this flavor a while back to celebrate Pearson's 100th anniversary.  It contains all the ingredients of a nut goodie: maple nougat, peanuts and chocolate.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, I see the maple nougat base is an off-white beige color.  I can see a few of the peanut mix-ins underneath the surface as well.  A few of them are just plain peanuts and at least one of them is chocolate-coated.  Digging in, the maple nougat base does taste just like the nougat in a nut goodie candy bar.  It is always interesting to have a nougat-flavored base.  I tend to thick of nougat as having a texture and consistency, but it has it's own distinct flavor as well.  Immersed in the ice cream are the peanut mix-ins.  About half of the peanuts are covered in chocolate while the other half are not.  This difference is quite fun.  Biting into each type of peanut is a completely difference experience so I did not know what to expect from bite to bite.

This is a good implementation of a nut-goodie-inspired ice cream from Izzy's.  There is more chocolate in the candy bar than there is in the ice cream flavor, but otherwise they nailed the flavor of the maple nougat filling almost exactly.  Izzy's has other nuttier flavors like Nut Crazy and they have a few other candy bar ice creams that they stock more often.  The appeal here is for those who have a specific affection for the Nut Goodie candy bar.






1 comment: