Sunday, January 12, 2020

Milkjam Creamery - Death By Chocula

Death By Chocula - Chocolate Monster Cereal with Chocolate Marshmallows
Today's flavor comes from Milkjam Creamery in Minneapolis.  It is called Death By Chocula.  I know what you are thinking.  Isn't that a Halloween flavor?  It is, but I did buy it this month.  Sometimes the pint selections at Milkjam lag a bit.  It is a cereal based on Count Chocula ice cream from General Mills.  Milkjam had a flavor from a previous Halloween called Monster Mash which combined all the monster cereals (Count Chocula, Frankenberry, Booberry).  This flavor focuses only on Count Chocula.  Let's check it out!

Removing the lid, the base ice cream has a brown color.  It has a slightly lighter color than I was expecting, but it still looks like chocolate.  Digging in, I taste the chocolate of course.  I also taste a bit of the 'cereal' even though I did not bit into anything crunchy.  Eating my way down, I don't notice much in the way of mix-ins, so it appears that most of the cereal and marshmallow pieces have been ground up before adding to the ice cream.  What is left is a near-homogenous mixture which has all the flavor of Count Chocula but not the texture.  This is one way of keeping the mix-ins from getting soggy.  I do not specifically notice marshmallow flavor, but I don't doubt that it is in there.  The marshmallow pieces in these types of cereals are sort of their own flavor and the flavor I am tasting is consistent with that.

This is a decent implementation of a Count Chocula ice cream.  It has all the flavor of the monster cereal, but as I mention above, the cereal and marshmallow pieces are ground up making for a mostly homogeneous ice cream.  It has a good milky chocolate flavor with notes of cereal flavor in the finish.  If you like the Count Chocola and don't mind that it is not crunchy, then this flavor is not bad.




1 comment: