Saturday, January 4, 2020

Jeni's - Darkest Chocolate

Darkest Chocolate - Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
Today is the final pint from my Black Friday shipment from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream called Darkest Chocolate.  It is a dark chocolate ice cream.  I got this one online, but I have seen this at local Whole Foods stores in the Twin Cities and perhaps other markets that carry the Jeni's brand.  Let's check this out!

Removing the lid, I see a foil seal between the cover and the ice cream.  See below for a photo.  This is the first time I have seen this with Jeni's.  I wonder if this is something they do only for this flavor or if it is something that they'll start doing for their whole line-up now.  Peeling off this wrap the chocolate does indeed have a dark color.  The first spoonful has a very strong chocolate flavor.  There is no bitterness that you often see with a dark chocolate.  Also, there is no 'hot-cocoa finish' that I sometimes see with chocolate bases.  There's nothing wrong with a hot-cocoa finish, just describing the differences among chocolates.  It's very chocolatey.  Their flavor link above says that they've added as much chocolate as they are allowed while still being able to call it ice cream.  Presumably that means that adding more chocolate would take the place of the milkfat required by the FDA to use the term 'ice cream'.  It is delicious.  This pint is all base -- no mix-ins.

This is a very good chocolate ice cream base.  It is very chocolatey and should please all chocolate lovers.  It is simple -- all base -- some chocolate lovers may prefer a kitchen-sink of chocolaty-ness which mixes a chocolate base with chocolate mix-ins but for a simple chocolate base this is very good.  It has me very curious about the Milkiest Chocolate that Jeni's offers.  I guess it adds evaporated milk into the base to distinguish itself from this flavor.  I hope to try this one day to see how it compares.








No comments:

Post a Comment