Friday, January 10, 2020

Sebastian Joe's - Pineapple Toasted Coconut

Pineapple Toasted Coconut - Pineapple Ice Cream with Toasted Coconut
Today's flavor comes from the Minneapolis-based Sebastian Joe's Ice Cream.  It is called Pineapple Toasted Coconut.  I got it at the scoop shop in Lowry Hill (Franklin & Hennepin).  The tropical ingredients looked appealing to me during the middle of the winter, so I picked it up.

The top of Sebastian Joe's pints almost always show a thick dough-like texture to the ice cream -- at least by sight.  In the first spoonful, I taste a lot of pineapple.  It is quite strong.  The appeal is good at first, but after a couple of spoonfuls I get a medicine-like vibe from it.  It's not bad, but something feels a bit off.  Scattered throughout the pint are small threads of toasted coconut.  They provide some interesting texture, but pineapple is the dominant flavor here.

This is not a bad pint -- I was able to finish it -- but something about the pineapple flavor seemed a bit off.  Maybe this was just a flawed batch?  A rare miss from Sebastian Joe's -- for me at least.  I recommend Häagen-Dazs for this flavor combination.





1 comment: