Saturday, December 2, 2017

Graeter's - Peppermint Stick

Peppermint Stick - Peppermint Ice Cream with Peppermint Candy

I have a big backlog in my freezer so I have decided to alternate pints from my Jeni's shipment with other pints.  So, today is the Cincinnati-based Graeter's brand's holiday flavor:  Peppermint Stick.   I found it at Whole Foods.  I recall that McConnell's has the same flavor, so it will be interesting to see how Graeter's compares.

Removing the lid shows a light pink color to the peppermint base with several candy pieces visible.  I checked the ingredient list and they use red beet powder to as a natural red color -- otherwise the peppermint would be fairly close to white.  It looks beautiful.  The candy pieces appear to be liquefied.  The same thing had happened with the McConnell's flavor.  I actually like this effect, but it makes me curious as to how they get this to happen.  Maybe the ice cream actually dissolves the candy?  Anyhow, digging in, the peppermint base is thick, soft, creamy and delicious.  The liquefied candy pieces are a good complement a well.  Not every piece was fully liquefied.  Every once in a while, there was a small piece of candy-cane-like candy to crunch on.

This was an excellent pint of ice cream.  Although I still like the McConnell's version of this flavor, I think this pint is even better.  It was softer and creamier and just as minty.  Graeter's makes a darn good ice cream even when their signature chips are not included.  Unlike McConnell's, this flavor is only available during the holidays.  So, if you're in the mood for a candy-cane-flavored holiday pint, pick this one up.



1 comment:

  1. I found this at Whole Foods, as well - and was thrilled to find it. I keep comparing it to McConnells and can't decide which I like more. I think they are both so good.

    ReplyDelete