Thursday, December 7, 2017

Sweet Science - Toasted Coconut

Toasted Coconut - Vanilla Ice Cream infused with Toasted Coconut

Today's flavor is the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science brand's implementation of Toasted Coconut.  It has been a while since I have reviewed a coconut-based flavor, so I figured that I would give it a try.

Opening the lid, the ice cream appears a bit more yellow than I was expecting.  I checked the ingredient list and it includes both vanilla bean paste and egg yolks.  Each could have a yellow-ing effect (especially the egg yolks).  When I look very close I can see the small black vanilla bean specks.  Digging in, I taste the coconut right away as expected.  There are no mix-ins which by the description on their website is intentional.  Every once in a while, I did find the occasional small piece of coconut, but I've read that can sometimes happen.  As I understand it, when you infuse a base with a flavor, you cook the cream with the mix-ins and then strain out the solids before churning and chilling.  It is usually not a big deal if a few bits of the solid make it through the strainer.

I have mixed feeling about this pint.  As a simple pint with infused toasted coconut flavor, it was quite good, but it seemed a bit too plain.  I think I would have preferred bits of coconut included or perhaps some nuts or caramel or chocolate.  This was good, it just felt like it needed to be accompanied with something.






  

No comments:

Post a Comment