Friday, December 15, 2017

Jeni's - Bangkok Peanut

Bangkok Peanut - Peanut Butter & Honey Ice Cream with Toasted Coconut and Cayenne Pepper

The fourth pint in my Jeni's shipment is Bangkok Peanut.  This is a fun flavor dating back to the days of her first scoop shop in the Columbus North Market.  It is inspired by a couple of Thai restaurants nearby.  Peanuts and spice.  I love Thai food.  I can't wait to check it out.

Opening the pint, the honey peanut butter base has the expected orange color.  Lots of the shredded coconut is available as well.  Digging in the peanut butter ice cream is quite good.  Sometimes peanut butter ice cream can be thick and heavy, but mixing it with honey does a good job of brightening it up a bit.  I liked it.  The shredded coconut adds quite a bit of texture to the pint.  The coconut flavor it provides is not too strong.  It goes with the peanut butter well.  I did not notice the cayenne pepper right away but it was something that slowly built up as I ate several spoonfuls.  Jeni's website descriptions often talk about the 'finish' of an ice cream flavor.  That sounds like what is happening with the cayenne pepper here.  I liked this effect.  The spice did not distract from the flavor while I was eating it, but I noticed it later.  I do have a relatively strong spice tolerance though.  Others I know who have tried this flavor noticed the spice sooner.  It's not hot, though, just a nice little kick of flavor.

This was an excellent pint of ice cream.  It is basically peanut butter, but it does peanut butter in a very unique way.  The honey brightens up the base, the coconut adds texture and the cayenne adds a bit of bite to the finish.  Well done.



No comments:

Post a Comment