Saturday, December 9, 2017

Jeni's - The Matterhorn

The Matterhorn - Wildflower Honey Ice Cream with White Chocolate Flakes and Smoked Almonds
Back to the next pint in the Jeni's shipment.  This looks like a fun one.  The Matterhorn!    What a great name for a pint of ice cream.  Originally part of their Holiday in the Alps collection from 2013 (back then it looks like it went by Torrone).  It is based on a honey-nougat-almond dessert called Torrone which is common to the Italian Alps.  The Matterhorn on the Swiss-Italian border is one of the most famous alpine peaks which its distinctive sharp peak giving a climbing challenge to alpine adventurers for generations.  I'm am excited to try this out.

Opening the pint, there is a bit of room at the top of the pint which is rare for Jeni's.  The ice cream is thicker and harder than usual which also makes me wonder if it melted and refroze either in shipping or in my freezer.  It is good though.  I taste the honey right away and it is delicious.  I don't know why honey ice cream is not more common.  Each time I run into it, it is has been amazing.  The almond mix-ins are quite good as well.  I did not notice the white chocolate, but I've mentioned before that I often consider white chocolate to be an inert flavor.  There might have been some subtle textural differences because of it, but since the base ice cream was so dense, I didn't notice.

I really liked this pint of ice cream.  The texture was a bit harder than usual, but it is not the hardest pint I've ever eaten and the hardness actually works well for a honey base.  If it wasn't for the room at the top of the pint I wouldn't have questioned it.  The honey flavor is the star of the pint and the almonds are a great complement.  It makes me want to try the Italian Torrone candy that inspired it.  This could easily be a full-time flavor.  If you find this, don't hesitate to try it out.

  



1 comment:

  1. I haven't opened my pint yet, but I bought it last year, and liked it enough to buy it again. I love ice cream that has a honey base.

    ReplyDelete