Monday, January 23, 2017

Baskin Robbins - Jamoca Almond Fudge

Jamoca Almond Fudge - Coffee Ice Cream with Roasted Almonds and Chocolate Flavored Ribbon

Looking at the freezer case in my grocery store for flavors I have no reviewed, I decided try another pint of Baskin-Robbins, Jamoca Almond Fudge.  This is one of Baskin-Robbins' signature flavors which dates way back to the days of Burt and Irv.  In fact, it is said to have been Irv Robbins' favorite flavor.  You'll notice that "Jamoca" is a copyrighted word, so coined and trademarked it.  I tried to find an exact story of its origin but could not find it.  It looks like a combination of "Jamaica" and "Mocha".  I've read that the ice cream was supposed to be made from the Jamoca coffee that they brewed on site.  On to the ice cream!

Opening the pint shows a creamy brown color of the coffee base.  Coffee ice cream is never quite the color I expect.  This beige color almost looks grey-ish.  Some of the chocolate ribbons are visible on the top.  Digging in, the coffee flavor is noticeable but not too strong.  As mentioned in several previous reviews, chocolate is a good complement for coffee because their active ingredients (caffeine and theobromine) are similar molecules.  The star of the pint for me was the almonds.  The almond pieces are fairly large and generously dispersed.  They stayed crunchy and fresh in the ice cream.

This flavor was better than I expected.  It's a milder coffee flavor.  Some people prefer their coffee ice cream extra strong, but non-coffee junkies like myself actually prefer a milder coffee flavor.   It's also the first pint I've had that combines coffee and nuts which worked out pretty well.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment