Thursday, January 5, 2017

Jeni's - Dark Chocolate Peppermint



Dark Chocolate Peppermint - Dark Chocolate Ice Cream infused with Peppermint Oil
It's the New Year, but shopping at Whole Foods, I still see some holiday flavors in stock so I figured I'd grab them while I could.  It is nice to keep the holiday season going anyways.  Today's flavor is Dark Chocolate Peppermint from the Columbus-based Jeni's brand.  Long-time readers will know that my favorite ice cream flavor is mint chocolate chip.  This flavor is also a blending of mint and chocolate, so I am looking forward to this variation on my favorite flavor.

Opening the pint reveals the very dark brown color of the dark chocolate base.  Digging in, the mint flavor hit me right away - the mint flavoring is blended into the base.  The mint is fairly strong.  The chocolate flavor is fairly strong as well.  As with other Jeni's flavors, this is thick premium ice cream -- they use tapioca as a thickening agent.  As I ate further down into the pint, I got used to the mint flavoring.  It is still flavorful, but that first spoonful really hit me more than I expected.  There are no mix-ins in this pint, just a homogeneous dark chocolate mint flavor.

I did enjoy this pint as I do like mint and chocolate.   It sort of reminded me a bit of the Chocolate Peppermint Crunch flavor from Ben & Jerry's because it had a chocolate base, though that flavor did have crunchy mix-ins.   If you like chocolate and peppermint and don't mind the lack of mix-ins then give this flavor a try.







 

1 comment:

  1. This one is good but is a POTENT flavor. You better like dark chocolate for sure, lol!

    ReplyDelete