Friday, April 12, 2019

Jeni's - Sweet Cream Biscuits & Peach Jam

Sweet Cream Biscuits & Peach Jam - Buttermilk Ice Cream, Crumbled Biscuits, and Swirls of Jam Made with Georgia Peaches from The Peach Truck
Today, I review the final pint from my six-pint shipment from the Columbus-based Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams.  This flavor is called Sweet Cream Biscuits & Peach Jam.  Interestingly, the sweet cream is not the base, it's in the biscuits.  Reading that recipe, I see that there is no buttermilk, while here, buttermilk is in the base ice cream.  So, buttermilk and sweet cream have traded places in this pint!  And unlike the previous review, here we are talking about the soft American-style biscuits and not the hard crunchy biscuits of the UK (and Italian biscotti).  Then peach jam is added.  Peach ice cream flavors are not super-common, so this looks to be a special treat.  Let's dig in.

Opening the pint, I see a little bit of the peach jam swirl off to one side.  The base ice cream is a near white color with some hints of the biscuit mix-ins.  Digging in, the buttermilk flavor of the base is fairly mild -- this is not at all 'sour'.  I got a bit of peach jam in the first spoonful and this is the predominant flavor and it tastes really good.  As I continue eating the pint, I start to appreciate the biscuit mix-ins.  They are not too large and chewy, so I don't single them out in any individual spoonful, but collectively they give the base ice cream a different texture and flavor.  I really can imagine myself eating a biscuit-flavored ice cream.

This is a really good flavor.  All of the pints from my six-pint shipment but this one is probably my favorite of the six.  Soft-biscuit mix-ins is a really good idea and this one works really well.  Plus, the peach flavor is delicious.  Together is was like peach jam spread on a soft biscuit -- but in ice cream form.  Checking my review archive, I see Talenti has a peach & biscuits flavor, but the biscuits there were crunchy so as to feel more like a pie crust, so it's a little different.  It's like a fruit pie à la mode.  Tillamook had a peach cobbler flavor which also had a crunchy mix-in.  Both those flavors are quite good, but I like this Jeni's flavor the best.






1 comment:

  1. I love this flavor.

    Have you seen that 7-11 has 4 new flavors out, including a peach cobbler. Not nearly as nice as this, but 7-11's ice cream line is surprisingly decent.

    ReplyDelete