Friday, June 21, 2019

Izzy's - Blackberry Crème Fraîche

Blackberry Crème Fraîche - Blackberry Crème Fraîche Ice Cream

The flavor for today is from the Saint Paul-based Izzy's Ice Cream and it is called Blackberry Crème Fraîche.  I picked this up because it looked like a unique combination of flavors.  I have actually had one other flavor which included crème fraîche before -- from Izzy's -- but there a lot of other ingredients in that flavor.  Here it just blackberry and crème fraîche.  I am guessing that the crème fraîche is used to cut the strong blackberry flavor.  Let's see if that is indeed the case.

Removing the lid, I see that the blackberry base is a deep magenta color.  Digging in, the blackberry flavor is quite good!  I don't see of feel any seeds, so it would appear that the blackberries have been strained.  The added crème fraîche balances the tartness of the blackberry perfectly.  Crème fraîche by itself often has its own tangy flavor but I don't notice that here.  It blends seamlessly with the blackberries to deliver the fruit flavor while decreasing the tartness that many berry flavors have.

This is an excellent fruit flavor from Izzy's.  Simple fruit flavors and fruit blends and fruit blends is one of Izzy's strengths (see also here, here, here, here) and this is no exception.  This is a great pint for people who love blackberries (or any other cane berries).





3 comments:

  1. David are you from Minnesota?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I am a Saint Paul native. I lived in southern California for quite a while, so many of the older reviews were from when I was living there. I moved back to Saint Paul a couple of years ago. I also have family in New York City, so I like to try ice cream from there when I visit.

      Delete
  2. I'm also from Saint Paul now North Saint Paul.
    I'm always looking for local Bloggers for my GB food group!
    I used to share Big Muddy but looks like they folded.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1877246722302286/ us out at:

    ReplyDelete