Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Sweet Science - Carrot Cake

Carrot Cake - Spiced Carrot Ice Cream swirled with a Cream Cheese Ice Cream
Today marks the return of the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science Ice Cream to these reviews.  I had not forgotten about them, but all of their seasonal flavors of late have been repeats for me.  I guess this is the second year that I have been sampling their flavors.  Anyhow, this month marks the return of the Basil and Strawberry Mascarpone flavors which were both well done (especially the Basil) and a new flavor called Carrot Cake.  So, I finally get to have them again.  I missed the nice clean chemical formula logos on the front of the carton.  In chemistry, "CC" is the SMILES represenation of ethane which is a colorless and odorless gas.  For Sweet Science, it means a spiced carrot ice cream swirled with a cream cheese ice cream.  I have had carrot cake ice cream once before from Izzy's, it will be interesting to see how this one compares.

Removing the lid, I see the two bases right away.  It is mostly a cream cheese base on the top with the carrot ice cream marbled in.  Digging in, this pint has a bright flavor.  The cream cheese is tasty and not too heavy.  The carrot ice cream is very delicious.  The spices in the carrot base are fairly mild, but noticeable.  This spicy carrot flavor actually reminds me quite a bit of pumpkin.  I guess the two ingredients make for similar desserts.

This is an excellent pint of carrot and cream cheese ice cream.  For carrot-cake inspired flavors, I can't decide whether I like this flavor or Izzy's Chubby Bunny better.  The Izzy's is definitely spicier with yummy cake pieces and the occasional walnut or chunk of frosting, but this Sweet Science flavor feels so clean and bright.  I don't know how better to describe it.  Check this one out if you like carrot cake.






No comments:

Post a Comment