Monday, June 18, 2018

Sweet Science - Basil

Basil - Basil Ice Cream


With the final free tasting event in May and the new scoop shop not open until the end of the summer, I figured I might be able to take a break from the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science brand for a couple of months.  Well, they sent out a tweet saying that they still have new flavors for June!  So, I went down to their home office and picked up a couple of pints.  Today's flavor is an interesting one.  Basil!  I never even imagined making an ice cream flavor out of basil.  Basil is an aromatic herb indigenous to central Africa and southeast Asia.  It is a member of the mint/deadnettle family  which contains many other culinary herbs such as sage, rosemary and thyme (though not parsley, as the old folk song would have you believe).  I have always associated basil with savory dishes, but the fact that it is a member of the mint family gives me hope that perhaps this might work.

Opening the pint, the ice cream is a beautiful light green color.  Some tiny specks of basil leaf are also visible.  As I dig in, the ice cream has a very bright flavor.  This is very fresh basil!  The relationship to mint actually is evident.  I can tell it is basil and not mint, but you get that same fresh leafy taste.  This is surprisingly good and not just for a spoonful or two.  I was enjoying this very much as I ate my way down the pint.  Whenever I think of basil, I think of the dried herb or the cooked leaves in asian cuisine, but fresh leafy basil makes for delicious ice cream.  Who knew?

I enjoyed this pint quite a bit.  I must admit, I was prepared for the worst and figured it might only be fun for the novelty or shock value, but I actually like basil ice cream very much.  I am guessing that this might be a seasonal flavor as the basil needs to be fresh.  If you're interested in aromatic and herbal flavors then you have to check this out.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment