Thursday, June 7, 2018

Talenti - Sea Salt Caramel

Sea Salt Caramel - Salted Caramel Ice Cream with Chocolaty Caramel Truffles
Today is yet another salted caramel review!  We go to Talenti gelato this time for their implementation of a Sea Salt Caramel flavor.  This pint actually has mix-ins!  It has been helpful to review all of these salted caramel pints in a row so that I can keep what distinguishes them from each other fresh in my mind, but it will be welcome to switch it up a bit as well.


Unscrewing the lid shows another caramel colored base.  No sign of the truffle mix-ins quite yet.  Digging in, the caramel flavor is strong enough to remind me of an old-fashioned sugar daddy sucker.  The salt level was medium.  Not really high like Sweet Science and not low like Graeters.  About a quarter of the way down the pint, I started encountering the truffle mix-ins.  They were small pieces of chocolate which were filled with caramel inside.  I took a picture of them below.  They were like miniature pieces of Rolo candy.  I liked them and it was good to have some textural variation after four straight homogeneous pints.  That said, I must confess that they were not quite as good as the similar mix-ins that Graeter's used in their Chunky Chunky Hippo flavor which I had earlier this year.  The frequency of the mix-ins picked up a bit as I ate my way down the pint.  This was good, but I wish there a bit more of them near the top.

This is a pretty good pint of salted caramel.  The caramel itself did not have the homemade feel that the more artisan brands had, but the truffles add some variation of texture and flavor for those who are not interested in eating a full pint of just salted caramel.  Be aware that the mix-ins are in there as it is not obvious from flavor's name or short description and you can't see any of them through the clear container, either.  The mix-ins make it a more fun pint to eat though.
  




1 comment:

  1. I love this flavor...I love it's texture,...it is a great recipe....I can not get past this flavor to try the other Talenti flavors because none seem as decadent to me as this one!!!

    ReplyDelete