Friday, June 22, 2018

Ample Hills - Chocolate Milk and Cookies


Ample Hills - Chocolate Milk and Cookies - Chocolate Milk Ice Cream with Pieces of Back to Nature Sandwich Creme Cookies


 I am in New York City visiting my sister so that means I get to check out the New York brands.  I went to the Whole Foods to check out my options.  I found a pint from Ample Hills which I had not tried before.  Ample Hills is the Brooklyn-based brand which tends to be overly generous with the mix-ins.  The flavor is Chocolate Milk and Cookies.  It looks like a cookies and cream implementation, but with a chocolate milk base instead.  This should be interesting.

Opening the pint, the base has a brown color from the chocolate milk.  I see the edge of one larger cookie piece but interestingly, there are no fine cookie specks that have blended into the base like in other implementations.  Digging in, the chocolate base is tasty.  I was curious about the 'chocolate milk' distinction as most ice creams contain milk anyways.  It does taste like the ice cream version of a frozen hot chocolate, but a lot of other milk chocolate bases taste like that anyways.  I would have to compare it to their usual chocolate ice cream (which I don't think I have ever had).  At any rate, it is very delicious.  The cookie mix-ins are chocolate sandwich cookies from Back to Nature.  The cookie pieces are quite large -- sometimes you get almost the whole cookie on your spoon.  They look like Oreos but they are chewier.  The fact that the pieces are larger and chewier probably explains why there are fewer fine specks blended into the base.  Crushing an Oreo tends to create more powdery crumbs.

I did not find this to be a 'wow' flavor from Ample Hills, but it is still a solid implementation of a cookies and cream with a chocolate base.  Every brand needs to have a cookies and cream flavor and this fits the bill quite well. Folks who enjoy larger cookie pieces will like this flavor.








No comments:

Post a Comment