Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Izzy's - Chubby Bunny

Chubby Bunny - Cinnamon & Nutmeg Ice Cream with Carrot Cake Pieces, Chunks of Cream Cheese Frosting and Walnuts

Today we return to the Saint Paul-based Izzy's Ice Cream for another one of their People's Flavor Award winning flavors.  This one is from 2004 and is called Chubby Bunny.  The title appears to be a play on the classic Ben & Jerry's flavor called Chubby Hubby, but the flavor is quite different.  Here it is not a hubby becoming chubby with peanut butter and pretzels, it is a bunny become chubby with... carrot cake!  This is my first pint that I have had which includes carrot cake -- or carrots of any kind really.  I like carrot cake.  Included in this pint is everything which goes with carrot cake -- spices, frosting and walnuts.  The website says there are also raisins but I did not find any here.  That's OK because raisins are not my favorite and there's plenty of other mix-ins here.  Enough talk, on to the ice cream!

Removing the lid, the base has a sandy color and a nice swirl of carrot cake is visible right away.  Digging in, I immediately taste the spices -- cinnamon and nutmeg.  They taste good.  Yum.  Then I encounter the carrot cake swirl.  The cake pieces are not too large, but they are soft, they taste like good carrot cake and they blend well with the cinnamon-nutmeg base.  I also encountered the occasional chunk of cream cheese frosting.  These are quite tasty.  They are sweet, but not overly so.  Every so often, I found a walnut to crunch on, but the cake and frosting are the stars of the show here.

I very much enjoyed this pint.  There are a lot of ingredients here, but it all comes together so well.  The cake, spices and frosting almost seem to blend together.  There are walnuts in the mix as well.  I can see how this won their People's Flavor contest a while back.  Check this one out, especially if you like carrot cake.










No comments:

Post a Comment