Sunday, February 24, 2019

Ample Hills - Oscar Night

Oscar Night - Cream Cheese Ice Cream with Pieces of Red Velvet Cake
It's Oscar Night and Ample Hills has the right ice cream for the occasion.  It is appropriately called Oscar Night.  They have a limited release of this flavor every year.  I am usually not in New York in February, so I haven't had this flavor before, but this year, I was excited to be able to able to put both the Valentines's flavor and the Oscar Night flavor into the same online shipment, so here I am eating Oscar Night on Oscar Night!  What does one eat while watching the stars on the red carpet?  Why red velvet cake of course!  Here, pieces of red velvet ice cream are immersed in a cream cheese base.  Sounds fun!

I open the pint and I see a lot of red chunks are visible right on top.  Some of the cake pieces are intact and some have been 'swirled' which for a cake means that small specks of red cake are distributed through the rest of the base.  Digging in, the cream cheese base is thick and sweet -- the cream cheese adds thickness here, but I detect no distinctive 'cream cheese flavor' that you sometimes find.  This base effectively acts as the 'frosting' for the cake piece mix-ins.  The cake pieces themselves are sweet and they stay soft in the frozen pint.  Red velvet cake usually -- but not always -- includes chocolate.  I don't taste much chocolate here.  It tastes like red-colored sheet cake.  I checked the ingredients and there is cocoa in the mix but it must not be very strong because I don't taste it.  It's good cake, though, I'm just making an observation so that you know what to expect.  The mix is good.  Some cake pieces are spoon-sized, while the rest peppers the base.

This is a fun pint to eat while watching the Oscars.  The red velvet cake pieces look beautiful and they taste pretty good as well.  This is easily much better than the Ben & Jerry's version of the flavor where they tried to use natural dyes to create the red color.  I think  By the time you read this, the Oscars will be over and this flavor will no longer be available, but this flavor returns every year.  If you are in the mood for red velvet cake during the Oscars next year, check this flavor out.







No comments:

Post a Comment