Sunday, February 17, 2019

Milkjam Creamery - I ♥ You

I ♥ You - White Chocolate Ice Cream with a Raspberry Rose Swirl
The Milkjam Creamery of Minneapolis released a flavor for Valentine's Day called I ♥ You.  I know it is after Valentine's Day already, but it's not too late to enjoy Valentine's themed ice cream.  I even have another Valentines flavor coming in a few days!  The flavor uses a '♥' in the name of the flavor.  I wondered if this was the first pint that I've had with an emoji in the name, but upon research the '♥' character was added to the unicode standard way back in 1993 -- long before we imagined using emoji's on our smart phones.  It was added as part of the Dingbat Block in Unicode 1.1 -- which itself was an importing of the Zapf Dingbat characters developed way back in 1978.  I'm always amazed at how early features like these were actually developed.  Apologies for the frivolous tangent about what most people would just say is 'just a heart'.  I was just trying to get the character into the article (and the article title, and article URL) and then my mind started to wander. 

The flavor is a white chocolate ice cream with a swirl of raspberry rose jam.  I have actually had a pint before from Sweet Science which combined raspberry and rose.  There, the flavors were blended into the base, here they are included in a swirl of jam.  After removing the lid, I see mainly the white chocolate base as an off-white cream color.  There is one dark pink section the jam visible on top as well as a faint pinkish hue visible in parts of the base.  Digging in, the base has the typical Milkjam texture, thick and dense but rather soft.  White chocolate does not stick out as a strong flavor for me, but the base is good.  The raspberry rose swirl does have the consistency of jam.  It has a strong and tasty raspberry flavor.  If there is rosewater in the mix, it's just an accenting flavor.  It is tasty and sweet and not too tart.  I think there were some mixing issues with the swirl.  It was hard to find at first, then it clung to the sides a bit and then I found more of it on the bottom half of the pint (I took a second picture below to get a better picture of the raspberry.  I was able to strategically spoon the ice cream in such a way so that most spoonfuls did have a bit of the swirl, but it could have been mixed a bit better.  The flavor was good though.  A little bit of swirl goes a long way and the white chocolate base does a good job of balancing the flavor.

This is a pretty good pint of ice cream.  There were some minor issues with mixing but it didn't take too much away from my enjoyment.  The swirl-to-base ratio is fairly low, but that is appropriate ratio as the swirl has a strong flavor.






No comments:

Post a Comment