Sunday, February 3, 2019

Pumphouse Creamery - Coconut Almond Chocolate Chip

Coconut Almond Chocolate Chip - Coconut Ice Cream with Roasted and Salted Almonds and Chocolate Chips


Today is another flavor from Minneapolis' Pumphouse Creamery.  This one is called Coconut Almond Chocolate Chip.  This is not a seasonal flavor, it is one from their main rotation of flavors.  It has been a while since I have had a coconut flavor, so I am looking forward to this.

Removing the lid, the base ice cream is the expected off-white color and I can see hits of a couple of the mix-ins.  Digging in, the coconut base is quite delicious.  There is even the occasionally strand of coconut in the.  Next I encounter the mix-ins.  The almonds are quite good.  They seem larger than they look.  I think what is happening is that the almonds are cut width-wise instead of lengthwise halves or slivers.  A width-wise cut still contains parts of both halves so when I bite into it, I can feel the two halves collapse first and then my teeth bite into the actual nut.  A little complicated to explain, but I really liked the effect.  Also in the mix are the chocolate chips.  These are more like chunks than chips -- not as numerous but each chip delivers more chocolate flavor.

I very much enjoyed this pint.  Coconut, almonds and chocolate is a winning combination.  Checking my archives, I expected to see more of this flavor.   Talenti has a version with stronger coconut, but with fewer almonds.  McConnell's has a great pint, but there the coconut is very toasted so it feels like a different flavor.  Graeter's has a flavor with all the ingredients but the base there is chocolate so it is also a very different pint.  Anyhow, this is a winning flavor combination and Pumphouse implements is extremely well.  Check it out.







No comments:

Post a Comment