Sunday, July 21, 2019

Coolhaus - Milk & Cookie Crumbs

Milk & Cookie Crumbs - Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream with Chocolate Cookie Crumb Swirl
Happy National Ice Cream Day!  Today is a flavor from Coolhaus ice cream.  I like this Culver-City-based brand.  They came out with new flavors several months ago, but I've been having trouble finding places in Minnesota which stock them.  I finally found a pint at Fresh Thyme.  Just one, though.  There are eight new flavors and if I find one more then I could order the remaining flavors with a six-pint online shipment.  Anyhow, today's flavor is called Milk & Cookie Crumbs.  It is a cookies and cream flavor with a cookie-flavored based.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, I am once again greeted with a cheeky message on the inner foil wrapper.   A fun play on a common saying.





Removing the foil, I see a lot of Oreo-like cookie pieces drizzled over the top.  Coolhaus has stepped up their top-of-the-pint presentation in recent years and they succeed again here.  Digging in, the cookies taste like Oreos, though I do not see them specifically branded as such on the package.  I've written before about the distinctive flavor that Oreos have relative to other chocolate sandwich cookies.  That's not to say that other brands are not good.  Some people prefer a bakery-made chocolate sandwich cookie or even a Newman-O because they have richer and chewier chocolate but you can still tell that it is not an Oreo.   I find that Oreos tend to be crunchier with the crumbs creating a finer powder when crushed and the chocolate has an almost "toasted" flavor to it.  The cookies here do taste more like Oreos.  If they are not, they are a very close facsimile.  The base ice cream is quite good.  This is cookie milk!  It tastes like what your milk tastes like after having dipped a lot of Oreos in it for a while.  The distinctive toasted chocolate flavor is in here as well.  This is very good.  The texture is thick and creamy as with most Coolhaus flavors.  Coolhaus designs their ice cream to be the filling for an ice cream sandwich, so it almost tends to fold when you spoon it.

This is an excellent pint of ice cream.  The flavor name might confuse some people -- this is a very-well done implementation of cookies and cream with the slight twist that the base is cookie milk.  That cookie-milk base is well-done and delicious and the cookie mix-ins are Oreo-like and tasty as well.  It reminded me of a pint from the local Milkjam brand called Ridin' Duuurty -- except that pint also contained peanut butter chunks.  If you like cookies & cream and you spot this in your local grocery, you should check this pint out.




2 comments:

  1. Well congrats on pint 501!
    Just shared this with the group tonight.
    Not sure if you can see page views or not like wordpress but I hope it increases the page views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can see the page views. I can tell how many are being referred by facebook, too. Thanks. This will put pressure on me to edit these. I can fall behind on the write-ups as you might notice by the date-stamps. I suppose at the very least there are photos and a general description of how much of each type of mix-in.

      I will have to try to check out your group sometime to see what other types of foods are featured. Not every meal is dessert. :-)

      Delete