Thursday, July 11, 2019

Talenti - Dark Chocolate Cherry


Dark Chocolate Cherry - Layers of Double Dark Chocolate Gelato, Chocolate Flakes, Black Cherry Sauce, Double Dark Chocolate Gelato (Again) and Fudge Truffles

Today is the next flavor in the Layer Collection for Talenti Gelato.  It is called Dark Chocolate Cherry.  As usual with the Layer Collection pints, there are five layers here.  Two of the layers are Double Dark Chocolate Gelato, while the other three layers are mix-ins: chocolate flakes, black cherry sauce and fudge truffles.  This is the second of the layers pints to include cherry.  The other one, Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake, had cheesecake gelato bases and only had chocolate in the mix-ins.  So this promises to have a more chocolatey flavor palate.  Let's check it out.

Unscrewing the lid on a layers pint only reveals the top base.  I see a tiny bit of frost on top because of the pocket of air but it does not appear to be anything to be concerned about.  I extract out a slice of the pint to show all the layers and I primarily see chocolate.  The black cherry sauce is a deep read and it has mixed with the chocolate flakes to form a mix-in layer between the two gelato layers.  On the bottom are these fairly large chocolate truffles.  Digging in, the dark chocolate gelato is quite delicious.  It is not too 'dark', but it has a definite strong cocoa flavor.  The black cherry and chocolate flakes layer is also quite tasty.  I can tell it is a darker black cherry flavor.  Visually, it does not look like a lot of red is in this pint, but a little bit of cherry goes a long way.  Then on the bottom are the chocolate truffles.  I really like these!  They are a lot like the truffles in the Salted Caramel Truffle flavor, but they have a solid-but-soft chocolate in the middle instead of caramel.  I think the inclusion of these types of mix-ins is one of the bonuses of the layers pints.  These truffles would likely be too large to evenly swirl into a normal flavor.

This layers pint is well done!  In terms of a cherry/chocolate pint, I liked this one a bit better than the Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake flavor because the chocolate gelato was softer and allowed for easier mixing.  I should note as I have with all the other layers flavors that I feel like extracting out a slice for the photos gives me an advantage when eating the pint.  Once I have a slice removed, it is pretty easy for me to sample from all the layers with my spoon as I eat out of the jar.  I suppose if this gets too tricky one can scoop it out of the jar and into a bowl before eating it.  Anyhow, this a delicious chocolate and cherry pint.










3 comments:

  1. This one was popular with members of East Metro Foodies!
    Members also said they enjoy the Pistachio flavor of this brand.
    Members pointed out that congressman Dean Phillips used to own this brand and that it still headquartered in Minneapolis.
    Please join us on Facebook if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks for the comment. Sorry, I would have added a link to your group but I am not on facebook. I guess I could create an account just for this blog. To tell you the truth, I've just been writing these reviews to myself and sharing them occasionally with friends and family (and anyone who stumbles upon the blog by accident is welcome of course!).

      Yeah, Talenti was founded in Dallas but was bought by the Phillips family as part of the move several years ago to take it national. They are everywhere now.

      I'm blocked out of facebook in the office. I'll see if I can figure out how to join when I get home. At the very least, I'll add a link to the upper right corner to your group. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. A link is not necessary
    Some of the bloggers like to take part in the group and some don't.
    45 comments on this post and I don't think any on the previous ones I shared but a couple of likes.

    ReplyDelete