Saturday, July 27, 2019

Graeter's - Watermelon Sorbet

Watermelon Sorbet - Watermelon Sorbet with a hint of Lemon
I decided to get another shipment from Graeter's Ice Cream.  I know I just got one earlier this summer, but they sent me a coupon and I was surprised to find that there were enough new flavors in the past couple of months to warrant another shipment.  The first flavor is actually a sorbet -- Watermelon Sorbet.  Believe it or not, this is my first flavor which includes watermelon.  So, I figured I had to give it a try.  A twist of lemon is also added into the mix.

The watermelon is a member of the gourd family which includes pumpkins, zucchini, squash, zucchini and other melons.  It originated in West Africa and its domestication spread quickly.  Evidence of watermelons can be found in the tombs of ancient Egypt dating back as far as the second millennium BC.  Today, over half of watermelon is grown in China.  True to its name, the fruit of a watermelon contains 91% water.

On to today's pint!  Removing the lid, I can tell immediately that it is a sorbet and not an ice cream.  You can see the slushy texture.  Digging in, I taste bright watermelon flavor.  I checked the label and it reads 'artificial watermelon flavor'.  I was a little disappointed by that, but it does taste like watermelon.  The flavor is fairly strong, but not overpowering.  I actually taste the lemon right away too.  This almost deserves to be billed as a lemon-watermelon blend.

This is a fun pint to try -- as I mentioned above, I have never had a watermelon flavor before.  It was pretty good, but the fact that the watermelon flavor is listed as artificial had me wondering if there are better implementations out there.  Also, like many fruit sorbets, these can be better by the scoop than by the full pint.





No comments:

Post a Comment