Thursday, June 4, 2020

Sweet Science - Peach Sorbet with Raspberry Ripple

Peach Sorbet with Raspberry Ripple - White Peach Sorbet with a Ripple of Raspberry Compote

I am back reviewing Saint Paul's Sweet Science Ice Cream again.  I got this pint as part of one of their weekly curbside pick-ups at the Keg & Case Market.  Sweet Science has been busy during this lockdown period coming out with all sorts of new flavors.  That's great because it lowers the number of trips that I take to grocery stores to try to find new flavors.  Today's flavor is a sorbet -- a non-dairy flavor-in-churned-ice dessert.  It is a white peach sorbet with a swirl of raspberry compote.  I did not realize until I got home and read the label, but I have had this flavor combination once before.  Last fall, I had a flavor from the Milkjam Creamery called Peach's Castle.  See that review for a discussion on the differences between white peach and regular peach.  It will be fun to compare the two local brands' implementation of this flavor.

Opening the pint, I see quite a bit of the raspberry swirl right away.  This compote is like a thick jam -- I guess that's what compote is, but it is very striking here.  The white peach sorbet base is a lighter pink color.  Digging in, I taste the raspberry first and it is quite delicious.  There are large sections of peach, though as well.  In these compote-free sections, I can taste the white peach flavor.  It does not have the distinctly peachy flavor of a yellow peach, but it does taste sweet and fruity.  Reminds me a little bit of pear, but it's definitely not pear either.  It tastes good and it blends well with the churned ice -- that is, it makes a good sorbet flavor.  The thick raspberry swirls are present throughout the pint and they go well with the white peach flavor.

I enjoyed this sorbet from Sweet Science.  Comparing it to Milkjam's Peach Castle, I liked this pint a little better because the flavors are more separated within the pint.  The raspberry swirl here was thicker and more distinct while Milkjam's was more half-blended.  This allowed me to enjoy the peach flavor on its own while getting an occasional jolt of raspberry instead of a mostly raspberry pint with under-notes of peach.  You can't go wrong with either, though, and perhaps the level of mixing varies from batch to batch.  I am just trying to describe the difference as I perceive it.  If you're up for a fruity sorbet this summer, check this one out.








No comments:

Post a Comment