Thursday, April 29, 2021

Jeni's - Cold Brew with Coconut Cream

Cold Brew with Coconut Cream - Light and Bright Slingshot Coffee Cold Brew Sorbet Twisted with Lush Coconut Cream
 

Today I return to Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream for another flavor in their non-dairy line.  As mentioned in previous reviews, I do not always survey the non-dairy lines of my favorite brands but Jeni's has had a number of special releases this year which I did not want to miss out on.  For each of these releases, I have had to pad my shipment with other flavors.  I have already tried all the dairy flavors that they are currently offering so I dipped into their non-dairy line.  Today's flavor is Cold Brew with Coconut Cream.  Since I bought it online, I am not sure if local grocery stores are carrying it.  The best bet would be Whole Foods.  Today's flavor is rather interesting.  They use the same coconut cream base that they use for half the other non-dairy flavors -- so far I have seen two non-dairy bases: coconut and chocolate -- and the coffee is then made into a sorbet which is swirled into the coconut cream.  For the coffee, they use Slingshot brand coffee.  Let's see how this turns out!

Removing the lid and peeling back the seal, the top of the pint looks like mostly coffee-colored with some white from the coconut cream visible on one of the edges.  Digging in, the blending that I see on the top surface is misleading.  I quickly see that there are two distinct sections in below.  One is plain coconut cream and the other is a thick and dense coffee sorbet.  The two sections are more marbled than swirled.  Each section is quite large, but it does not take much spoonwork to be able to fit some of each into each spoonful.  The coffee sorbet tastes quite good.  The texture is much more dense than I am used to with sorbets.  It is a bit icy/slushy at times.  I think if the entire pint was just this sorbet, then it would be too icy, but marbling it with the coconut cream works very well.  The coconut cream is excellent.  This base has been used in other non-dairy flavors from Jeni's but it is more isolated here and I can really appreciate it for what it is.  This is excellent!  They could sell just pints of this.  I can taste the coconut, but it is not too strong.  The goal here is to balance out the coffee sorbet and it does a good job of that.

This is a very interesting non-dairy flavor from Jeni's.  I applaud that this is not just a clone of their Coffee with Cream and Sugar flavor with coconut cream instead of dairy cream.  Marbling a coffee sorbet against a creamy base is unique and fun.  The denseness of the coffee sorbet was a little weird for me personally, but others may love that idea.  People who love coffee ice creams may want to try this one out even if they don't have dietary restrictions because the sorbet-in-cream experiment is so interesting.

 


 






 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment