Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Talenti - Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry Shortcake - Layers of Strawberry Gelato, Shortbread Pieces, Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce, Strawberry Gelato (2) and Shortbread Pieces (2)
 

Today's flavor is the last of the four new Layers flavors released this year by Talenti Gelato.  It is called Strawberry Shortcake.  I cannot remember which grocery store I bought this in, but the new layers flavors are popping up in grocery stores across the Twin Cities.  Earlier this week, I reviewed a strawberry shortcake flavor from Tillamook and I have also reviewed flavors from Milkjam Creamery and Ben & Jerry's.  In Talenti layers flavors there are usually three layers of mix-ins sandwiched between and below two layers of gelato.  Here both gelato flavors are strawberry, the two layers sandwiched between are strawberry rhubarb sauce and shortbread pieces and there is an additional layer of shortbread pieces on the bottom of the pint.  Let's check it out.

Like all layers pints, when I unscrew the lid, all I see is the top layer.  For the purposes of taking photos, I then cut out a vertical slice of the pint in order to see all the layers.  The layering here is well done.  How does it all blend together?  The strawberry gelato is quite delicious.  I can see a little bit of texture in the gelato as though there are tiny pieces of strawberry or perhaps seeds in the mix, but they are so small as to not affect the texture.  The layer of strawberry rhubarb provides a thick and tangy swirl of flavor into the mix.  It is a mostly strawberry flavor with the rhubarb providing a mild tangy kick.  I liked it quite a bit.  The shortbread pieces are quite good.  Shortbread by design is a mild confection but these little goldfish-cracker sized nuggets provide quite a lot to chew on as you are eating the pint.

This is an excellent new layers flavor from Talenti.  Fans of strawberry will want to check this out.  This concludes my survey of the four new layers flavors.  The other three flavors were Chocolate Pretzel, Cookies & Cream and Confetti Cookie.  Today's Strawberry Shortcake flavor might be my favorite, but the Chocolate Pretzel flavor with it's delicious salted cone pieces might be a close second.  Then comes Cookies & Cream which was still quite tasty.  Confetti Cookie was my least favorite because I did not think the layering worked well.

Finally, I should note that Talenti has two new non-layers flavors this year:  Honey Graham and Vanilla Peanut Butter Swirl.  I cannot seem to find these in Twin Cities grocery stores yet.  I know there is often a shortage of space in freezer cases.  Perhaps stores are prioritizing the layers flavors?  Hopefully, they turn up eventually.  If anyone spots either of these flavors, let me know in the comments section.

 







 


No comments:

Post a Comment