Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Air

Air - Ylang-Ylang Frozen Yogurt, Airy Meringue and Basil Seeds
 

The third flavor in Milkjam Creamery's April run through the classical elements is Air (instagram link here).  This is a very interesting and unique flavor.  It is a frozen yogurt flavored with ylang-ylang -- which I admit that I had never heard of before trying this -- and it has crunchy meringue mix-ins and basil seeds (not leaves).  After all the ice creams that I have eaten, unique is always a bonus so I am looking forward to checking this out.

As mentioned above, I had never tried ylang-ylang before.  Whenever I get a new ingredient I like to write about it a bit.  Ylang-ylang is a perfume-like essential oil extracted from the flowers of a cananga tree which is native to southeast Asia, Australia and the Philippines.  I also also never had basil seeds, just basil leaves (which were surprisingly tasty) from Sweet Science here.

Cracking open the lid, the top of the pint is bright white with a few of the basil seeds lurking below and I can see a few of the meringue pieces.  Digging in, the yogurt has a tangy flavor.  I'm not sure if that is the ylang-ylang or the yogurt.  I can smell the floral notes of the ylang-ylang but it is fairly subtle flavor-wise.  It is a lot like lavender or vanilla that way (but a different smell of course).  The meringue pieces are crunchy and fun to chew on.  I tend to think of meringue as being a creamy pie topping, but this is meringue that has been baked long enough that it is crunchy like a light airy cookie.  The basil seeds provide some interesting texture but not very strong flavor.  They don't taste anything like basil leaves.

This is an intriguing and unique flavor from Milkjam.  The flavors are not super strong, but it is still refreshing and pleasing to the taste.  I liked the meringue pieces as mix-ins.  This is potentially a good complement to one of the spicy meals that they serve next door at the World Street Kitchen.  It is too bad that we are not yet in a world for sampling flavors before you buy because I think a spoon-sample would go a long way towards explaining this flavor.  But it is worth a try if you like trying new things.


 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment