Friday, April 9, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Fire

Fire - Mango Habenera Sherbet with a Raspberry Cardamom Swirl
 

Today, I move on to the second of Milkjam Creamery's April flavors based on classical elements.  The first flavor was Earth.  Today's flavor is Fire (instagram link here).  I bought it on their scoop shop on Lyndale in south Minneapolis.  For fire they went with orange mango and red raspberry for the color habenero peppers to bring the heat.  I have had a spicy mango flavor once before from Pumphouse Creamery called Mango Carolina Reaper Pepper.  This Milkjam flavor is different in that it is a sherbet and not an ice cream (a sherbet has less dairy, but it not dairy-free like a sorbet) and there is an additional raspberry cardamom swirl.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, I see the orange-ish yellow color of the mango sherbet base with some pinkish sections which are likely the raspberry.  Digging in, the mango flavor is quite delicious.  I do notice a kick of the habenaro pepper right away but it is not too intense (it is Minnesota after all).  From the link above, I am reading that there is some buttermilk in the sherbet.  I do not taste it specifically but I think it helps to keep the heat from the peppers from building up as I eat my way down the pint.  Further down, the pinkish color I saw on the top becomes thinker raspberry swirls.  These are quite good and complement the mango quite well.  I did not notice the cardamom that much.  I have had good spiced berry swirls in other flavors -- Claire's Cabinet from Jeni's and Lemon Party from Bebe Zito -- but this is either a mild cardamom or I was distracted by the habenero peppers in the base.

This is a fun spicy flavor from Milkjam Creamery -- totally appropriate for the fire classical element theme.  The mango habanero was the highlight of the pint for me with the raspberry playing a supporting role.  I have a high spice tolerance so it was not "hot" for me, but it may be quite spicy by Minnesota standards.  I'd suggest if you are not sure to get a sample spoonful first, but I don't know if they are doing samples yet in these pandemic times.  Anyhow, check it out if you like spicy mango salsa.

 


 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment