Sunday, May 23, 2021

Pumphouse Creamery - Chocolate, Coffee, Roasted Almonds, Cocoa Nibs

Chocolate, Coffee, Roasted Almonds, Cocoa Nibs - Mocha Ice Cream with Roasted Almonds and Cocoa Nibs

Spring is rhubarb season at Pumphouse Creamery in Minneapolis.  I would be remiss if I did not recommend their signature Fresh Rhubarb flavor which is only available through the end of June.  Today's review is not for that flavor though, it is for their new Chocolate, Coffee, Roasted Almonds, Cocoa Nibs flavor.  That is one of those flavor names which basically describes itself.  A mocha (chocolate-coffee) base with roasted almond and cocoa nib mix-ins.  Sounds interesting.

Removing the lid, I see the base has a deep brown color.  It looks like chocolate.  Digging in, chocolate is the dominant flavor but if I focus I can tell there is a bit of the bite of coffee flavor in the mix.  As I spoon my way further down, I encounter the mix-ins.  The almonds pieces are fairly small in size, but still large enough to provide some crunch when I encounter them.  The cocoa nibs appear to be chocolate-coated.  The nibs are also crunchy, but in a different way.  The density of the mix-ins is not as much as I was expecting at first, but I do encounter more of them as I dig my way further down into the pint.

This is a solid new flavor from Pumphouse Creamery.  I just noticed that this looks like a tweak or update on a previous flavor of theirs called Mocha Almond Toffee.  The cocoa nibs and plain almonds in today's pint create a crunchier texture than the previous toffee mix-ins. 











No comments:

Post a Comment