Monday, November 8, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - French Silk Pie

French Silk Pie -  Freckled Milk Chocolate Ice Cream with Pie Crust and Whipped Meringue 
 

The first of Milkjam Creamery's November flavors is French Silk Pie.  This is a bit exciting for me because French Silk Pie was a favorite in my family's household growing up.  We still pick up a French Silk Pie from Baker's Square when my sister visits from out of town.  How do they this flavor pie into an ice cream?  They used a "freckled" milk chocolate base and have pie crust mix-ins along with a whipped meringue swirl.  Let's check it out!

Removing the lid, the ice cream has a charcoal brown color with some darker chocolate mix-ins visible and some hints of the swirls of meringue.  Digging in, the chocolate base is quite delicious.  It is a bit of a mousse-like flavor just like the pie.  The "freckles" are basically small pieces of the chocolate shavings that you often see on the top of a French Silk Pie.  They're perfect!  It totally makes me feel like I am eating a slice the pie.  The whipped meringue is basically a whipped cream -- it is not tangy or crunchy like some meringues -- but that also matches my pie experience as well.  Then everyone once in a while I encounter some pie crust pieces which provide a bit of a crunch.  Not too many, but enough.

This is an uncanny and quite excellent implementation of a French-Silk-Pie-as-ice-cream flavor from Milkjam Creamery.  This is a new twist on chocolate ice cream for me.  I guess it is in some ways similar to the Frozen Hot Chocolate flavor from Serendipity, but chocolate dessert connoisseurs will be able to tell the difference (plus I like this Milkjam flavor a little better).  If you are also nostalgic about French Silk Pie -- or even if you just like chocolate and whipped cream -- check this out.  I hope this becomes a returning seasonal flavor.







No comments:

Post a Comment