Sunday, November 28, 2021

Sweet Science - Milk and Cookies

Milk and Cookies - Vanilla Ice Cream with Soft-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies and Dough

The local Sweet Science brand recently snuck a new flavor on to its menu in November called Milk and Cookies.  The Golden Fig on Grand Avenue in Saint Paul stocks the collection of flavors near me and when I went down there to pick up the November flavors, I saw this flavor that I did not recognize and I scooped it up.  When I got home, I saw this instagram post explaining it's addition.  It says it will be around for a few months.  It has a light vanilla base with chocolate chip cookie and chocolate chip cookie dough mix-ins.  I like these types of ice cream.  Cookie mix-ins often imply Oreo (or Oreo-like) cookies and it's fun when chocolate chip cookies are used instead.  Then some cookie dough is used as well.  Looks interesting!

Removing the lid, the vanilla base has the expected off-white color and several of the mix-ins are visible right away.  The vanilla base is quite tasty and soon I encounter the cookie mix-ins.  These are chunks are about the size of sugar cubes.  Each chunk delivers quite a bit of chocolate chip cookie flavor.  It was not always obvious as I ate the ice cream which chunks were cookies and which were cookie dough.  I like my cookies a little dough-y, so this is not a complaint.  It's all quite good, but there is a lot of plain vanilla in between the mix-ins.  I was not always able to get mix-ins into each spoonful.

This is a good implementation of a vanilla & chocolate chip cookie flavor from Sweet Science.  Checking my archives, the gold standard for this type of flavor is still McConnell's but I also like Ben & Jerry's.  Milkjam also had a non-dairy version of this flavor during the state fair.  If I had a quibble with the Sweet Science flavor, it was the large sections of vanilla in my pint.  I did like the large chunks, though.  Perhaps if they crushed a small fraction of the chunks into smaller pieces so that every spoonful would at least have some cookies in it.  This is a rare complaint from me for Sweet Science as I usually find their flavors amazing.  Maybe I got an odd batch.  It's still good, though.  If you are at their scoop shop and in the mood for cookies, then check it out.








No comments:

Post a Comment