Wednesday, November 24, 2021

OddFellows - Passionfruit Apricot Pistachio

Passionfruit Apricot Pistachio - Passionfruit Ice Cream with Apricot Jam Swirls and Pistachio Pieces
 

The next flavor from my recent shipment from the Brooklyn-based OddFellow's Ice Cream is called Passionfruit Apricot Pistachio.  Here I drop a quick aside to local readers that I bought this flavor online and I am not aware of any Minnesota grocery stores that stock OddFellows.  OK, now that that is out of the way, what an interesting combination of flavors!  I have only had apricot once before in a Spumoni flavor from Sebastian Joe's.  Passionfruit, I associate with tropical flavors and it is not often that I see pistachio used as a mix-in nut.  This should be fun!

Removing the lid, the passionfruit base has a yellow color.  I can see some orange on top from the apricot jam and I can see one of the green pistachios on top as well.  As I eat my way down, the orange color disappears, but I still taste some apricot.  It looks like the apricot jam has almost fully blended into the passionfruit base and the orange on top is from a diffusion towards a surface that sometimes happens.  The blended passionfruit apricot flavor is pretty good!  As tropical as passionfruit can be, the flavor can be a bit bitter in isolation.  The apricot provides a bit of sweetness to counter that.  The pistachios provide a bit of crunch and the pieces are large enough that I can taste some pistachio as well as I bit into them.

This is a very interesting and well-done flavor from OddFellows.  It is a very unique combination combination of flavors.  After reviewing hundreds of flavors, I greatly appreciate something completely new from time to time.  The flavor is mainly passionfruit, but some sweet apricot in the mix as well and pistachio is a premium nut for mix-ins.  If you are in the mood for something fruity and new and this flavor is available to you, then check it out.








No comments:

Post a Comment