Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Milkjam Creamery - Sour Cream Apple Pie

Sour Cream Apple Pie - Sour Cream Ice Cream with Caramelized Apples and Pecan-Oat Granola
 

The third of Milkjam Creamery's November flavors (instragram link here) is called Sour Cream Apple Pie (instagram link here).  This flavor looks similar to a flavor which they had last November called Cute Guys and Apple Pies.  Both feature a sour cream and buttermilk base, apples and granola.  In the old flavor, there was more apple in the base and some apple butter swirl.  This flavor has caramelized apple chunks and the granola now includes pecans.  I guess that's enough to warrant a new review!  Ha ha... Let's go!

Removing the lid, the sour cream and buttermilk base is a bright white color.  I can see some of the nutty granola but I can also see some small chunks of caramelized apple.  Digging in, like last year's flavor, this sour cream and buttermilk base is quite tangy.  I really like it, but I guess I could see someone being caught off guard.  Balancing the buttermilk are the caramelized apple pieces which include just the right amount of apple pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger) so as to make me feel like these chunks came from a caramel apple pie.  The pecan granola is also quite good and gives me the crunchy illusion of eating a slice of pie with my ice cream.

This is an excellent pint of ice cream.  Apple pie flavors such as those from Bebe ZitoTalenti, Sweet Science and Sebastian Joe's are usually quite good -- and the apple-y parts of this are good, too -- but Milkjam's addition of the tangy sour cream and buttermilk base really makes this uniquely delicious.  It is quite a bit like last year's Cute Guys and Apple Pies, but I think I like this flavor better because it's got more apple.  I look forward to another permutation of this next November.  Enjoy.







No comments:

Post a Comment