Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Bebe Zito - G.O.A.T. Apple Pie

G.O.A.T. Apple Pie - Cajeta Caramel Base, Roasted Apple and Cinnamon Jam. Topped with Pie Crumble Streusel
 

Today's flavor comes from Bebe Zito of south Minneapolis.  I picked it up at their scoop shop on 22nd and Lyndale.  The flavor is called "G.O.A.T. Apple Pie".  It has a cajeta caramel base with roasted apple and cinnamon jam and pie crumble streusel.  Here "G.O.A.T.", of course, means 'Greatest Of All Time" and this is an apple pie or apple-streusel ice cream which I have seen a few times before (Talenti, Sweet Science and Sebastian Joe's).  One word that jumped out of the flavor description here is "cajeta" which is a new term for me.  Cajeta is a confection made with caramelized goat milk.  It is the goat-milk version of dulce de leche (caramelized cow's milk).  I usually like apple pie flavors, so I'm looking forward to checking this out.

Removing the lid, there is a big chunk of apple pie filling on the top of the pint!  It almost stuck to the lid which would not have made for a good photo, but I twisted the lid a bit as I lifted it off and got it to stay on the top for a good photo.  The base ice cream beneath it has yellowish-orangish color which is consistent with caramel-apple-cinnamon.  Digging in, this small chunk of apple pie filling is quite delicious.  It's the only chunk like this in the pint, though.  It's quite common for Bebe Zito to give you something extra on top which is not in the rest of the pint.  Rather than be disappointed that there is no more of it, I'll be glad that they added it at all.  Digging down, the apple cinnamon flavor in the ice cream is quite good and there is the occasional swirl which enhanced the flavor in the base.  I liked the cajeta and it tasted like light caramel or dulce de leche as expected.  The apple-cinnamon flavor was strong enough (and good enough) that I was not able to focus closely enough on the cajeta to see what made it taste different than other dulce de leche's.  Maybe if I had it side by side I could judge better here.

This is a very good caramel apple-pie pint from Bebe Zito.  It is fun to have all these apple flavors in the fall.  I liked this better than Talenti (more apple-y) and about as good as Sweet Science.  The Sebastian Joe's had more intense apple-cinnamon flavor, but that might be expected because that flavor did not contain any caramel.  The one chunk of apple pie filling on top is a wonderful topping to this flavor.  Enjoy.









No comments:

Post a Comment