Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Sweet Science - Goat Cheese and Blackberries

Goat Cheese and Blackberries - Goat Cheese Ice Cream with Blackberry Compote
 

Today's flavor is from the Saint Paul-based Sweet Science Ice Cream.  It is called Goat Cheese and Blackberries (instagram link here) and I got it at the Keg & Case Market in Saint Paul.  I have had goat cheese in an ice cream once before from Jeni's with their Goat Cheese with Red Cherries flavor.  The mix-in is different here (blackberry compote instead of roasted cherries) but it will be interesting to see how the two goat cheese bases compares.

Remove the lid, I see a lot of the blackberry swirl against an off-white colored base.  It looks great!  Digging in, the goat cheese base has the consistency of a cream cheese base, except I can tell it is not quite the same.  It feels a little less thick and perhaps a bit chunkier.  The flavor is fairly mild and it serves here as a vehicle for the blackberry swirl.  This blackberry swirl is excellent.  One of the better berry swirls that I have had in a while, right up there with Jeni's Brambleberry Crisp and Pumphouse's Honeyberry Crisp.  Very delicious.

This is a very good pint from Sweet Science.  I braced myself, but tangy goat cheese in the base, but surprisingly it plays a supporting role here to an excellent blackberry swirl.  The goat cheese acts like a cream cheese to complement this delicious swirl.  I think the Jeni's goat cheese flavor packs more specific goat cheese tangy flavor into their pint, but I still recommend this flavor because of the blackberry swirl.  Enjoy.

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment