Thursday, November 12, 2020

Milkjam Creamery - Yeah Yeah Yams

Yeah Yeah Yams - Sweet Potato Casserole Ice Cream with Roasted Marshmallows and Pecans
 

Today is the second of the four November flavors from Milkjam Creamery.  It is called Yeah Yeah Yams (instagram link here).  I picked it up at their scoop shop in South Minneapolis.  It has a sweet potato base with a roasted marshmallow swirl and pecans.  I have had sweet potato bases twice before --   both times from Jeni's (review links here and here).  The second of those pints had marshmallows like this pint does.  Today's pint has pecans, which neither of the two Jeni's pints had.  The flavor name here is I believe a nod to the indie band the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.  I remember their song "Maps" which was one of the funnest songs for newbies to play on the Rock Band video game.  Anyhow, let's check out today's flavor.

Removing the lid, I see everything right away on the top of the pint.  The sweet potato base has a pastel orange color.  Glob-like sections of marshmallow are visible (as opposed to marshmallow pieces) and I can see some of the pecans as well.  Digging in, the sweet potato has a light and sweet flavor which is very appealing.  I am always pleasantly surprised by the flavor of sweet potato.  I did not grow up eating it, so I often brace myself for something savory like squash, but it is quite sweet.  The marshmallow sections are soft and they act like swirl.  The pecans are excellent.  They are crunchy and flavorful and complement the smooth sweetness of the rest of the pint.

I enjoyed this pint from Milkjam Creamery quite a bit.  Sweet potato ice cream works!  More brands should try it -- even if it is just for the holidays.  Because of the excellent pecans, I actually like this better than both of the Jeni's pints I liked to above.  If you missed out on a sweet potato side dish this Thanksgiving, maybe this pint will tide you over.  Enjoy.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment