Friday, November 6, 2020

Milkjam Creamery - Roasted Pumpkin Dulce

Roasted Pumpkin Dulce - Roasted Pumpkin with Dulce de Leche Swirl
 

The Milkjam Creamery of Minneapolis has four new flavors for November!  It seems like I just finished the October flavors.  I can't complain about more flavors, though.  The instagram link for the new flavors is here.  The new flavors are all in pints, so I picked them all up.  I will try to finish these and write them up faster than I did last month.  For the first flavor, I chose Roasted Pumpkin Dulce (insta link here).  This is a pumpkin-spice ice cream with a swirl of dulce de leche.  Dulce de leche is a caramelized milk -- not strictly caramel, but close.  The closest I have had to this flavor is a Pumpkin Salty Caramel flavor which I got from Sebastian Joe's last year.  It'll be fun to see how this flavor compares.

Removing the lid, I see the orange-ish brown color of the pumpkin base.  Digging in, I taste a good pumpkin flavor.  It has some spices in it, but it does not try to be super spicy.  This is pumpkin pie level of spice.  As I eat my way down I do notice some darker brown stripes which are evidently the dulce de leche swirl.  I do taste it a bit.  It adds a bit of body to the pumpkin, but it is not super strong.  Dulce de leche is caramelized milk which is by its nature milder than caramel itself which is made from heating up sugar.  It also looks like the swirl here is half-blended.  Which is OK, but it also lessens its effect.

This is a tasty pumpkin-based ice cream from Milkjam Creamery.  The dulce de leche swirl has more of a subtle effect than one might expect, but it still succeeds in deepening the flavor of the pint.  If you're expecting strong caramel, I'd stick with a flavor more like the aforementioned Pumpkin Salty Caramel, but this pint is still quite successful as a pumpkin/caramel blend.

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment