Monday, November 16, 2020

Milkjam Creamery - Lyndale Fog

Lyndale Fog - (16) - Dairy-Free Ice Cream flavored with Earl Grey Tea and Cranberry mix-ins

Today's flavor is the third of the four November flavors from the Minneapolis-based Milkjam Creamery.  This flavor is called Lyndale Fog (instagram link here).  I picked it up at their south Minneapolis scoop shop.  This is a vegan ice cream flavored with Earl Grey tea and has cranberry mix-ins.  The flavor name is a play on London Fog which is an Earl-Grey-Tea-based beverage and Lyndale Avenue which is the street where the Milkjam Creamery scoop shop is located.  This is actually the first pint that I have tried which includes cranberry.  Cranberries are true botanical berries and are related to blueberries, huckleberries, bilberries and lingonberries.  They are bright red in color and have a distinctive acidic tartness to their flavor.  They are commonly served to accompany large meals during the holiday season.  So it makes sense that it's part of a November flavor. Let's check it out!

Removing the lid, I see the beige color of the Earl Grey base and one of the cranberries is visible right away.  Digging in, I can tell right away that it is not dairy.  It has a denser and grittier texture.  The flavor is good, though.  Milkjam specializes in non-dairy bases.  I have written before that at least one of their founders is lactose intolerant which I think gives them extra perspective and incentive to create non-dairy flavors that are good in their own right.  The instagram link above says they use coconut and oat milks to create the base.  The Earl Grey flavor is good -- I can taste the bergamot orange and the tea.  The cranberry mix-ins are beautiful.  They are big and bright red and have a very tart flavor as expected.

I really enjoyed this non-dairy flavor from Milkjam Creamery.  Earl Grey with cranberries is an interesting, unique and successful combination!  The tartness of the cranberries balanced the sweetness of the earl grey base.  To be honest, I do prefer dairy bases, but nobody does coconut/oat 'milk' substitute bases as well as Milkjam does.  Check it out.


 





 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. This is Mike from East Metro Foodies again.
    A Question came up as to who has egg nog ice cream and I did see the links to the 5 you reviewed but was wondering if you were planning more for this year?
    Also a member says Kemps has this and I didn't see that on your list.
    Thanks,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No egg nog ice cream in the freezer. I will keep a look out.

      Of the five I reviewed, the one you might be able to find here in the cities is Talenti. In past years, Kowalski's often stocks all the holiday Talenti pints. I have not been there this season. Rereading their review, I thought the Talenti Egg Nog was just OK.

      Sweet Science released their holiday flavors -- no egg nog. I have not seen December flavors from Milkjam or Bebe Zito yet. No egg nog at Pumphouse at the moment. Sebastian Joe's has it on their master flavor list, but their local flavor feeds are not working right now, so I have no idea when/if it will be in the scooping bins. Izzy's had decent egg nog ice cream, but they only do about ten flavors now since they've gone grocery-store pints only.

      I'll keep my eyes open. It's a surprisingly good flavor. I think the idea of an egg nog flavored dessert is frightening at first because you imagine that thick drink, but adding sugar to egg nog and reducing it turns it into an egg custard and everyone loves egg custard. So, it just becomes a question of how much (if any) nutmeg or rum flavor to add to your custard.

      Delete
    2. Update: Milkjam released their December flavors and one of them is "Spiked Egg Nog" which they describe as being boozier than the usual egg nog ice cream. I went down and picked it up. I stopped by Sebastian Joe's on Franklin & Hennepin on the way there and they had Egg Nog in the scooping bin as well, so I had them pack me a pint to take home. My freezer is overflowing right now, but I'll put those two on high priority for eating and reviewing.

      Delete
  2. Cool can't wait to read about them!

    ReplyDelete