Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Sweet Science - Vanilla Cardamom

Vanilla Cardamom - Vanilla Cardamom Ice Cream
 

Saint Paul's Sweet Science Ice Cream has another new flavor for the fall and it is called Vanilla Cardamom (instagram link here).  I picked it up at the Keg & Case Market in Saint Paul.  As I write this, the scoop shop had to close because Keg & Case closed with the most recent pandemic shutdown, but there is still curbside pickup of pints available.  This is the fourth vanilla or near-vanilla that I have had from Sweet Science.  I have had their regular vanilla (Vanilla Bean), their Honey Vanilla and their Malted Vanilla.  I am excited for this vanilla because I am fan of cardamom.

After removing the lid, the top of the pint looks like most other vanillas -- slightly off-white.  Digging in, I immediately taste the cardamom.  It's quite fragrant and potent.  I like it!  Continuing to eat my way down, the flavor of the cardamom holds up -- my palate acclimates to it a little bit, but not completely.  This is a homogeneous pint with no mix-ins.

I enjoyed this cardamom flavor from Sweet Science very much.  Cardamom often plays a supporting role adding aromaticity to other flavors, but since vanilla is the only other flavor it is allowed to take center stage here.  The most similar flavor to this that I have tried is Dad's Cardamom from Three Twins.  I liked today's pint better and Three Twins is no longer in business, so this is my new favorite cardamom flavor.  I would recommend this for a vanilla to accompany a slice of pie.  The cardamom adds quite a bit of flavor and it is strong enough where it might be better a scoop at a time.  Also, since Sweet Science is a premium brand, I feel like I am getting my money's worth with the extra flavor.







No comments:

Post a Comment