Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Sweet Science - Vanilla Bean

Vanilla Bean - Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
The third flavor from my recent choose-your-own-four-pack from Saint Paul's Sweet Science is Vanilla Bean.  I got it by ordering curbside pick-up on their website and picking it up outside the Keg & Case Market.  The first two pints in my four-pack were new flavors (Banana Cream Pie and Cherry Almond Ganache) and to fill out my order I had to look for regular-menu flavors which I had not tried.  Vanilla Bean was the last one!  So that's what I am reviewing today and there will be no fourth review from this purchase.  For my fourth pint, I got Cayenne Caramel Brownie and gave it to my uncle.

I have reviewed several pints of vanilla at this point.  I have reviewed pints from Ben & Jerry, McConnell's, Coolhaus, and side-by-side vanilla/vanilla-bean reviews for Häagen-Dazs and Izzy's.  Also, I've gotten close to vanilla with Sweet Science having already tried their Malted Vanilla and Honey Vanilla.  Let's check out their Vanilla Bean.

Upon removing the lid, I see that the ice cream has a very light off-white color.  It has a slightly yellow tinge to it.  I checked the ingredient list and there is indeed some egg yolk in the mix.  Looking closely, I do see the occasional been speck in there, so it is indeed vanilla bean.  Digging in, the texture is a bit fluffy.  It is easy to scoop.  It has a nice creamy vanilla flavor which is very pleasing.

This is a decent implementation of a vanilla flavor from Sweet Science.  It would taste excellent with a slice of cake or pie.  I don't know if I am the type to pay a premium price for a full pint of vanilla but if you are in the scoop shop and are looking for a balancing second scoop, or if you are adding your own toppings then is as good of a vanilla as any.  My favorite vanilla of all-time is still Coolhaus but I think that's because I like the taste of Tahitian vanilla.  All of this said, the completionist in me is very happy to have completed my survey of the regular menu from Sweet Science.  I look forward to more new flavors -- and the return of older flavors which I have not tried -- in the future.






No comments:

Post a Comment