Monday, May 11, 2020

Sweet Science - Banana Cream Pie

Banana Cream Pie - Organic Banana Ice Cream with Clusters of Graham Cracker Crust and Swirls of Whipped Cream

Sweet Science of Saint Paul has more new flavors.  They've suddenly gotten very creative during this pandemic.  They've also added the opportunity to 'choose-your-own-four-pack' in their curbside service outside the Keg & Case Market once a week.  So, I was able to select both new flavors and a regular flavor I hadn't tried yet (I had to go with vanilla!) then I could give the fourth pint to a friend.  Today's flavor is one of the new flavors -- Banana Cream Pie.  Long-time readers know that Mint Chocolate Chip is my favorite ice cream, but Banana Cream is actually my favorite pie.  (Note: that I would never mix those two desserts!)  I have actually done a banana cream pie flavor before, from Graeter's.  It'll be fun to see how they compare.  Looking at the ingredients, I think this Sweet Science flavor appears closer to the pie I usually get because it includes whipped cream. The Graeter's flavor includes caramel instead of whipped cream.  Sweet Science does make delicious pie-based flavors.  I liked their Pecan Pie, I really liked their Lemon Meringue Pie and their pie-like flavors Berry Crumble and Caramel Apple Cider Crisp are both excellent.  Without further ado, let's dig in.

Opening the pint, the banana ice cream here is very bright and almost white.  I see some graham cracker pieces right away.  If I look really close, I can see small threads of whipped cream in there.  I wonder if there is more below.  This is a much different look from the other banana-themed pint, Banana Caramel Blondie, that I got from Sweet Science just a couple of weeks ago.  Whipped cream instead of caramel is a big difference.  Digging in, this is definitely the sweeter type of banana  as opposed to 'roasted' or banana-bread type of banana.  The threads of whipped cream do not get any bigger as I eat my way down, but I really like the balance here.  The thicker swirls like in their Lemon Meringue flavor worked well because they were tart.  Here, the thin, thread-like swirls had a sweet creaminess to the banana without being too much.  It actually makes it taste a lot like the pie I usually get!  The graham cracker crust pieces are well done here.  They are well-dispersed, crunchy and of variable size.

I really liked this pint.  I did enjoy the Graeter's Banana Cream Pie pint that I had a while back, but I think Sweet Science does them one better here.  The blending of the banana ice cream with just the right amount of whipped cream makes this taste so much like my favorite pie.  So, now two good banana options from Sweet Science.  The roasted, caramel-blondie combination of Banana Caramel Blondie and this sweet cream pie version.  Yum.




No comments:

Post a Comment