Monday, May 25, 2020

Sweet Science - Snicker Doodle

Snicker Doodle - Brown-Sugar Cinnamon Ice Cream with Swirls of Caramel, Crunchy Peanuts and Crispy Chocolate Shards
Sweet Science at Keg & Case in Saint Paul is back again with new flavors!  My last review of theirs, Vanilla Bean, was last pint from their regular menu that had not reviewed and since they are doing curbside pickup of four-packs during the current pandemic-related shutdown, I was a bit worried about padding future purchases with flavors that I've already had.  But they had four new flavors for me to try!  That's great!  So, now my freezer is stocked with ice cream for a while.  This first flavor is called Snicker Doodle.  The space in the name means that this flavor is part snickerdoodle (with the cinnamon) and part Snickers bar (chocolate, caramel and peanuts).  There is also brown sugar in the mix.  My recipe for snickerdoodles does not call for brown sugar, but it sounds like a good addition to this ice cream anyways.  I am guessing it will complement the cinnamon well.

Let's dig in!  Opening the pint, I see a couple of the shards of chocolate right away and hints of the caramel swirl that I have enjoyed in several other Sweet Science flavors.  Digging in, the I can taste the brown sugar and cinnamon right away in the base.  It is pretty tasty.  Here, the base is just a vehicle for the mix-ins though.  The caramel swirl is indeed as tasty as it is in other Sweet Science flavors such as Salted Caramel Swirl and Coffee Caramel Cookie.  The shards of chocolate are thin and crumbly.  They do resemble the outside covering of a snickers bar, but this is a premium version of that -- it is a darker and more potent chocolate.  There are quite a few peanuts in the mix which add crunch.

I enjoyed this flavor from Sweet Science very much.  It is mostly a snickers bar implementation with the twist of using a brown sugar and cinnamon base instead of a nougat flavoring or a more neutral flavoring like sweet cream or vanilla.  Searching my reviews, I was surprised to see that I have not had that many flavors like this one before.  The closest I could find was an old retired 7-11-exclusive flavor from Ben & Jerry called Nutty Caramel Swirl.  This pint was better than that -- higher quality caramel and the brown sugar and cinnamon is a very welcome addition.  This is a very easy flavor to recommend as these are all very pleasing ingredients -- chocolate, caramel, nuts, cinnamon.  Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment