Friday, May 1, 2020

Sweet Science - Banana Caramel Blondie

Banana Caramel Blondie - Roasted Banana Ice Cream with a Swirl of Caramel Sauce and Blonde Brownie Pieces

Today is the second flavor from my recent curside pickup from Sweet Science Ice Cream at the Keg in Case Market in Saint Paul.  I got the caramel four-pack.  The first flavor was Coffee Caramel Cookie and this flavor is called Banana Caramel Blondie.  This is an interesting flavor combination, but sure enough when I do a google search I find several recipes.  In this pint, banana serves as the base ice scream while salted caramel sauce and blonde brownie pieces serve as the mix-ins.  Looks appetizing!

Removing the lid, I see a lot of the caramel sauce swirl right away.  That was my favorite part of the previous pint, so I am excited already.  The banana base is a off-white yellow color and I don't see any of the blondies quite yet.  Digging in, the banana flavor is quite good.  I have written before about how there are two types of banana -- the darker flavor of banana bread and the brighter, sweet flavor of banana pudding and banana cream pie.  The side of the pint labels the banana here as a 'roasted' banana, so I figured this might be a banana-bread banana and it does have a darker texture, but the presence of the caramel swirl adds sweetness into the mix.  The caramel swirl is sweet but also has a salty bite to it.  The blonde brownies are dispersed throughout the pint.  They are chunky and chewy and go very well with the caramel.

I really liked this pint.  Adding blondies is an interesting enhancement to the fairly common banana/caramel combination (including numerous bananas fosters).  What makes this pint stand out, though is the caramel swirl which is thicker, saltier and has more 'bite' than most caramel swirls.  If you see this one available, check it out.





No comments:

Post a Comment