Saturday, November 28, 2020

Bebe Zito - Manda Chuva

Manda Chuva - “The Bringer of Rain” Gooey Brownies, Chocolate-covered Dots Pretzels and Salted Caramel
 

Today's flavor is from the Minneapolis-based Bebe Zito and is called Manda Chuva.  The flavor page only mentions all the mix-ins (brownies, pretzels, caramel) and not the base, so I assume it is probably a sweet cream.  The pretzels used here are Dot's Pretzels, the brand created about ten years ago by a North Dakotan named Dorothy Henke while wintering in Arizona (see story here).  The brand has been gradually spreading its reach from both locations since.  The name of the flavor, Manda Chuva, literally means "Bringer of Rain" in Portuguese and there is a Brazilian connection with both the Bebe Zito name and one the co-owners.  For a literal translation, I checked google translate and it checked out.  (google translate link here), but figuratively "manda chuva" also means "big shot".  My favorite use of the term in the figurative sense is that Manda Chuva is the translated name of the old Hanna Barbara cartoon Top Cat.  Also, "Bringer of Rain" (in English) is the nickname of Minnesota Twins third baseman Josh Donaldson which he says he got from the Spartacus: Blood and Sand television show.  So, let's check out to see if the flavor of this ice cream matches its billing. (ha ha)

Removing the lid, I see a lot of the mix-ins right away.  This is common for Bebe Zito, they add extra mix-ins to the top of their hand-packed pints right before placing the lid.  I see one of the Pretzel's partially covered in chocolate.  I see a sizeable cube-shaped chunk of brownie and I also see some caramel drizzle.  The ice cream underneath as a light beige color.  Digging in, the brownie pieces are excellent.  They seem softer than the ones they used in their Gochujang Brownie flavor -- a darker chocolate flavor as well.  The pretzel mix-ins are not crunchy -- chocolate does not completely coat them so they softened when mixed into the cream.  They do provide a bit of salt to the mix, though.  The caramel swirl was very good.  It is thick and salty.  Eating my way further down, the mix-ins are not just on the top, I continue to find all three as I eat my way down.

I enjoyed this pint from Bebe Zito.  The person who rang me up at the scoop shop told me that this flavor was "like a candy bar".  I can see that because of the caramel and the pretzels.  Checking my archives, most brownie ice creams use a chocolate base (the classic Chocolate Fudge Brownie flavor) but the flavor do not use a chocolate base are similar to today's flavor.  Flavors like Ben & Jerry's Netflix & Chilll'd (brownies & pretzels but a peanut butter base) and McConnell's Sweet Cream Caramel Brownie (brownies & caramel, but no pretzels).  I think Manda Chuva compares well with those flavors.  For me, the star of the this pint was the brownies which are indeed super gooey.  They are almost a cross between a brownie and a clump of soft fudge.

 


 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment