Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Bebe Zito - Gochujang Brownie

Gochujang Brownie - Chocolate Ice Cream with Brownies and Gochuhang Spice 
On my first trip the brand-new Bebe Zito scoop shop in the Wedge/Lowry Hill area of Minneapolis, I picked up three pints.  The first two pints are reviewed here and here.  This is the third pint and is called Gochujang Brownie.  It looks like an implementation of the classic chocolate fudge brownie flavor which is suped up with a Korean chili spice called gochujang.  Gochujang is a sweet fermented spice which is included in many popular Korean dishes such as bibimbap and bulgogi.  So, I know that it goes well in savory dishes, it will be interesting to see how well it tastes in a dessert.  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid, I see a big chunk of brownie right away on top against the chocolate base.  I also see quite a bit of red powder on top as well which must be the gochujang.  It looks beautiful.  A very good top-of-the-pint presentation here.  Digging in, the chocolate base is quite good.  I do notice a mild kick of spiciness from time to time, but nothing too strong.  I must warn other readers, though, I have a fairly high spice tolerance from living on the west coast for many years.  Since moving back home to Minnesota, I have not found anything which has a strong spice.  So, be prepared for the possibility that this could be quite spicy by Minnesota standards, I don't know.  As I eat my way further down, the brownies are quite excellent.  They are rich, chocolatey and remain soft and chewy even embedded into the ice cream. 

I liked this spicy chocolate fudge brownie from Bebe Zito very much.  I found the spices noticeable but mild, but it's possible that local folks not accustomed to spicy food might find this much hotter -- I'm not sure.  Still, the brownies here are amazing, so I would recommend this as one of the best chocolate fudge brownie pints that I have tried independent of how spicy it is.  This Bebe Zito scoop shop looks promising and I hope to return soon to try more flavors.








No comments:

Post a Comment