Saturday, July 18, 2020

Bebe Zito - Mushroom Pecan

Mushroom Pecan - Mushroom Ice Cream with Salted Pecans

Today I move on to the second pint from the new scoop shop in Minneapolis called Bebe Zito.  See my earlier review for more information on the new scoop shop.  Today's flavor is called Mushroom Pecan.  I am psyched because I have not reviewed a flavor with mushrooms in it before.  This should be quite interesting.  Mushrooms are not plants or animals, but a type of fungus.  Not every mushroom is safe to eat, but many of them can be eaten.  The culinary use of mushrooms dates back thousands of years in both the Old World and the New World.  I checked the website and instagram to see if I could find out what kind of mushroom is used but I could not find anything.  I did find this cool article which discusses the store and many of the first pints which I took home with me on my first visit.  Salted pecans are the mix-in here.  Let's see how it tastes!

Removing the lid, the mushroom base has yellowish-beige color and there are small specks throughout.  Then I can see one of the large pecans right away on top as well.  Digging in, the mushroom base has a bit of a earthy flavor to it.  Sort of like molasses or brown sugar that is not too sweet.  The mushrooms are pretty well blended into the cream during the creation of the base ice cream -- there are no 'chunks' of mushroom in the mix.  Those specks are quite small and I only notice them with my eyes and not while eating them.  The pecans mix-ins are large, salted and quite delicious.  There is no coating other than the salt.  These are some of the best pecan mix-ins that I have had.  Very crunchy and flavorful.

This is a unique and interesting flavor from Bebe Zito.  I was expecting the mushroom flavor to be more exotic, but the mushroom flavor itself was fairly palatable and mild.  The salty pecans were actually the star of the pint.  So this is an interesting experiment but don't expect anything too intense.  Actually, I'd recommend this to people who like salty pecans just for those mix-ins alone.









No comments:

Post a Comment