Friday, July 10, 2020

Sebastian Joe's - Mint Milano

Mint Milano - Mint Ice Cream with Milano Cookies
Today I return to Sebastian Joe's for their Mint Milano flavor.  I got this at the scoop shop in Lowry Hill.  This is an interesting flavor.  Mint-chocolate flavors are everywhere and mint-cookie flavors are not uncommon, but it is usually mint-Oreo (or imitation Oreo).  Here, the cookie used is the Milano cookie from Pepperidge Farm.  A Milano is also a 'sandwich' cookie, but with chocolate in the middle and biscuit-style cookies on the outside.  Let's see how this interesting combination works out.

Removing the lid, the mint base is a bright white color.  I can see lots of green flecks within the mint base.  This appears to be a mint made with mint leaves as opposed to just an oil or extract.  I can see one of the Milano cookies (almost whole) underneath the surface.  There are also little flakes of chocolate floating around which have escaped from the cookies.  Digging in, the leafy mint produces an interesting flavor.  It also tastes like spearmint but since I don't have an ingredient list I cannot confirm that.  At any rate, it is different from the usual mint flavor.  I encounter the cookies next.  Some pieces are large like the one I saw near the top of the pint, but some are smaller.  There is some chocolate, but the predominant flavor is actually the outer biscuits.

This is an interesting an eclectic mint-chocolate combination from Sebastian Joe's.  Although I applaud the uniqueness and creativity of using spearmint-like leafy mint instead of regular mint and the use of Milano cookies with their biscuit outsides and chocolate insides, I did not like this as much as the usual mint-chocolate combinations.  I found myself wanting the mint to be a little more potent and the cookies to be more chocolatey.  So, this is a fun try for me, but on future visits I'll be on the lookout for a more standard mint-chocolate combination.







No comments:

Post a Comment