Saturday, July 4, 2020

Sweet Science - Ashlee's Birthday Celebration

Ashlee's Birthday Celebration - A Blend of Salted Caramel, Toasted Coconut and Banana Ice Creams

Today's flavor from Sweet Science Ice Cream in Saint Paul is called Ashlee's Birthday Celebration.  I guess the founder and owner of Sweet Science, Ashlee Olds, is turning forty!  The flavor has an interesting story (told in this instagram post).  Several years ago, she had extra base ice creams (banana, salted caramel and toasted coconut) in her production kitchen and rather than let them go to waste, she blended them together and happened to really like the result.  Let's see this tastes.

Removing the lid, I see sprinkles!  I guess that is part of the celebration.  It looks like they are added on the top after the ice cream is hand-packed but before putting on the lid.  Digging in past the sprinkles, I taste the banana first.  It is not a super-sweet banana like banana cream pie, it is more like banana-bread.  Part of that is the blending with the caramel.  I taste strong notes of caramel in the mix, so this is definitely a banana-caramel blend.  I tried to see if I could taste the coconut and it was not obvious.  If it is in there, it is fairly mild.  I remember that I thought their toasted coconut flavor was on the mild side as well.  All of the flavors here are fully blended together.  It is a homogeneous pint with no mix-ins.

This is a decent flavor-blend from Sweet Science.  By my taste buds, it is mostly banana with a some caramel and a smidge of coconut, but the flavors did blend quite well and I enjoyed eating it.  As far as banana-caramel flavors go, I found their recent Banana Caramel Blondie flavor a bit better -- stronger banana swirled with a stronger caramel sauce.  That said, flavor blends have their place in the scooping bin as well.






No comments:

Post a Comment