Thursday, July 30, 2020

Sweet Science - Grasshopper Pie

Grasshopper Pie - Green Mint Ice Cream with Clusters of Newman-O's and Marshmallow Fluff
As mentioned in a recent review, Sweet Science Ice Cream of Saint Paul made a few flavors specially available for National Ice Cream Day a week or so ago.  Two of the flavors were new to me, so I picked them up.  I reviewed the first flavor, Peach Cobbler, here and today's flavor is called Grasshopper Pie.  A grasshopper pie is a mint-chocolate cream pie which was likely introduced in the 1950s and was probably inspired by the mint-chocolate cocktail of the same name.  Long-time readers know that mint chocolate chip was my favorite ice cream flavor growing up, so I am always looking forward to flavors which combine those flavors.  Here, Newman-O clusters (organic imitation Oreos) deliver the chocolate into a peppermint base and there is some marshmallow fluff in the mix as well.  I have had the mint-chocolate-marshmallow combination once before with the Ben & Jerry's seasonal Minter Wonderland flavor, but that is a chocolate-mint flavor while this appears to be a mint-chocolate flavor, so they might not easily compare as chocolate-mint flavors have so much more chocolate.

On to today's pint!  Removing the lid, the peppermint base has a very light green color.  Peppermint is not naturally green, but grasshopper pies and cocktails usually are.  I checked the ingredient list and it appears that vegetable juice is used to create the color.  I can also see some of the Newman-O clusters and one large dollop of marshmallow fluff on top.  Digging in, the peppermint ice cream has a cool and refreshing flavor as expected.  The clusters of Newman-O's work quite well.  They deliver a bit of chocolate and a lot of crunch.  I like the variable sizes because it makes every spoonful a bit of a surprise.  Here, the Newman-O's act as both the chocolate source and the "pie crust".  The marshmallow fluff is found in dollop-sized pockets throughout the pint.  It adds some soft creaminess into the mix every few spoonfuls.

This is a fun and interesting flavor from Sweet Science.  As mentioned before, mint chocolate chip is my favorite ice cream flavor so I like any variations or twists that different brands try on that flavor combination and grasshopper pie is a new one for me.  The best part of the pint was the Newman-O clusters -- a great way to create a crunchier version of chocolate chips.  I still prefer Sweet Science's Vanilla Mint Fudge when I am feeling in the mood for mint and chocolate, but this flavor is fun for a twist.







No comments:

Post a Comment