Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Jeni's - Orange Blossom Chiffon

Orange Blossom Chiffon - Buttermilk Frozen Yogurt flavored with Orange and Tangerine 

Today is the second pint from my recent State Fair Collection shipment from the Ohio-based Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams.  This flavor is called Orange Blossom Chiffon.  My own state fair has been cancelled due to the pandemic, so it is nice that I get state-fair-themed flavors delivered to my home instead.  A note to local readers that I ordered this online and I do not believe that this flavor is available in Minnesota grocery stores.  Like the previous flavor in the shipment, Watermelon Taffy, this flavor takes a bright fruity flavor associated with sorbets and sherbets and blends it into an ice cream with the help of buttermilk and yogurt.  Checking the ingredients, it looks like they neroli oil and tangerine oil to provide the orange flavor.  I double-checked the meeting of 'chiffon' and it's a light cake made with vegetable oil instead of butter or shortening where egg whites are beaten stiff to create the fluffiness of a sponge cake but with the richness of a butter cake.    So, I'm guessing this will be a lighter orange flavor?  Let's check it out.

Removing the lid and peeling back the label, the base ice cream is a lighter color orange than I expected.  It is really an off-white orange.  Digging in, the orange flavor is muted but quite delicious.  It tastes like a blend between the sherbet of an orange push-up and a sweet cream.  The 'chiffon' does mean that this is a lighter and airier flavor.  As with the previous watermelon flavor,  I do not specficially taste buttermilk and yogurt, but I imagine they are involved in balancing the orange oils to create something fruity and creamy at the same time.  Unlike the watermelon flavor, this is not a very tart pint.  This is sweet orange flavor.  There are no mix-ins.

I very much enjoyed this orange pint from Jeni's.  It's like a very light, airy version of an orange push-up.  It is solid and homogenous, not like the 'dreamsicle' sorbet-and-cream blends from local Pumphouse and Sweet Science brands.  The flavor in my archives it compares to the most is the Orange & Cream flavor from Graeter's.  I liked that flavor, but I like this Jeni's flavor a bit more.  If you are in the mood for a light orange ice cream, check out Orange Blossom Chiffon.






No comments:

Post a Comment